Certified Organic Castor Oil and Some of Its Uses
Certified Organic Castor Oil
and Some of Its Uses
Castor oil has been used for both medicinal and beauty purpose for centuries. It is believed that the ancient Egyptians used castor oil to protect the eyes and also as a facial oil. At present, castor oil is widely used in beauty products like lip balm, eyeliner, conditioner, and styling gel. It is also used in ointments for the skin.
What is Castor Oil?
Castor oil is a vegetable oil derived from the seed or beans of the castor plant. The oil is semi-fluid with a pale-yellow color and a distinct odor.
There are three different varieties of castor oil – cold pressed castor oil, Jamaican black castor oil, and hydrogenated castor oil – each with its own distinct flavour and properties.
What is Certified Organic Castor Oil?
A Certified Organic Castor Oil is one that has been certified as organic by the concerned certifying agency of the country. This oil is made from castor seeds that have been sourced from organic farms across the country.
Each country has its own certifying body or agency that certify a product as being organic. Australia has seven certified agencies that provide organic status to products. These agencies are accredited by the Biosecurity section of the Department of Agriculture (Australia).
What Are the Uses of Certified Organic Castor Oil?
As mentioned earlier, certified organic castor oil is put to a variety of uses ranging from medical to industrial. Below are a few of the most common uses of organic castor oil.
- Castor oil is helpful in faster wound healing. When applied to the skin it helps in tissue growth. These tissues act as a barrier between the environment and the wound thus preventing infection.
- Castor oil contains ricinoleic acid which can reduce inflammationwhen applied topically. This is particularly helpful for those who are suffering from inflammatory diseases like rheumatoid arthritis.
- Castor oil helps in moisturizing the skin. Thus, it is used in makeup, cleanser, and lotions for hydrating the skin.
- Castor oil is also helpful in treating acne. The anti-microbial property of castor oil helps in fighting the bacterial growth in acne. The anti-inflammatory property helps in reducing the inflammation and keeping the skin smooth.
- Castor oil is an effective moisturizer that keeps your hair healthy and hydrated. The anti-inflammatory property of the oil helps in reducing seborrheic dermatitis. Thus, it helps in healthy growth of your hair.